The history of the Cancer Association of Shelby County began in 1936 with the formation of the “Women’s Field Army” against cancer. The Indiana State Medical Association Auxiliary adopted this as a state project. Norma Inlow of the Shelby County Medical Association Auxiliary founded the Shelby County Branch of the “Women’s Field Army Against Cancer.” In 1945 the Women’s Field Army and the American Society for the Control of Cancer reorganized to form the American Cancer Society.
In December of 1959, after observing the needs of Cancer patients in our community, three men and two women formed the Cancer Association of Shelby County. At the Cancer Association of Shelby County, we combine the pieces to provide a complete service to our community’s cancer patients. The main function is that of providing direct service to patients.